Spaces to live in.
Video Item Preview
- Publication date
- Space, architecture, personal space, juvenile films, Space (Architecture), Personal space, Architecture, Domestic
- Bloomington, Ill. : National Instructional Television
- Internet Archive
Considers the organization and characteristics of planned spaces for community living in a study of the functional and aesthetic problems in the design of spaces for living For grades 5-8
Produced by NIT Describes organization and characteristics of planned spaces for community living and explores functional and esthetic problems. From the Images and Things series.
- 2014-10-03 16:58:47
- color: Very badsound: Goodsynch: Goodnotes: Film edge is visible on all sides. Red balance is too high.
- National Instructional Television Center
- The follow instructional television. It's the city a. Life support system. For millions of people. Houses that stretch to the sky. Or sprawl along the ground. This is our man made environment than a complex machine laboring to meet the needs of all the people who live here. Are man made environment. It can be designed to meet the need for beauty. It can be designed. But most of the time it just grows. The now to. Mitt Romney. The. A city is a place to live work and play but most of all the city's people. Most people live in a neighborhood of the basic building blocks of our city the George Jackson family lives in the Tacoma Park neighborhood in Washington D.C. and they were really is or where black people live. Coke the same school Tuesday it's of glass. And take it out and see. What this neighborhood I like because it's it's not as crowded the population density isn't as great here is a lot of the sections of the district the houses all detached and know from this aspect of a good makes it nice and because I feel where people are kind of pushed in crowded together you know it's not it is not a pleasant. It's fairly convenient you know all the time too far to the at the two of us that and then it's the fairly close attention to your avenue where there was a big Safeway had feline to use it so that you're really out right and within walking distance between two lines that lead downtown wished it does give you a feeling have a convenient location. Go to St Louis tonight. Ten. Is a playground about two blocks away. Basketball client. The right. Now. Like it also because clean and the people as I around the neighborhood seemingly have a lot of pride of them ownership and whatnot in the keep their place is fairly nice because it is a gym pass good average age of a house I guess in this area would be forty years. The chief thing that I've probably dislike them as a neighborhood with problem in the schools the elementary school in this area the very old and overcrowded for the most part and some temporary buildings that had to have been built way of the year but schools are quite old enough to think that area you know like this or any area should have nice modern school to be a very pleasant and should be one of the finest structures of the neighborhood is that I'm one of the Old least desirable structures. Not all neighborhoods are pleasant livable places some to tear your rate to the point where there is often no choice but to destroy the crumbling houses and start over again and interpret describe some of the hardships caused by this urban renewal process. Like thirty three but it really is not. Three or four families you know they have. More than six years ago. Their friends and neighbors started moving away because urban renewal. Coming to their block most people would not choose to live on a street where they were the last families left the sanitation crews did not come through anymore. The policeman do not make a foot patrol. For the area. Terribly depressing. Most family stuff or the type of indignant is because there's no place else to go. City planners like Mrs turbo work to preserve the feeling of community when urban renewal shatters an old neighborhood. Houses that have stood for a hundred years come crashing down in the Bay. Of enjoying new houses are built these houses were partly designed by people from the old neighborhood. Architects and new residents work together to designing not only the houses but the open spaces around the. But there is more to planning a new community than just providing well designed houses when the first family moves. Back into the area. Many women there in the mine. No new. Talent to mention third element in the area and there were no new phone line no new playground. Larry is one hot place. This is one of the difficulties with Evan renewal plan and making sure that everything comes out on time. That Matter time new families are ready to move that you have new schools ready for them that there are new help the seller and that their playground and that the transportation is adequate for the family. One way to make the man made environment not only livable but beautiful is to design it from the ground. New towns and cities are springing up all over the world the new city of Columbia Maryland is rising on fifteen thousand acres of farmland. Halfway between the overcrowded cities of Baltimore and Washington the chief planner of Colombia is more than one can sell we decided that we would try to build a city of about one hundred thousand people that we felt that was a pretty good size to try since it was the first one that we're going to do and we decided that we didn't want to be a very dense city you know not a lot of people living on a little bit a land war type buildings and the like as not to say there's anything wrong with that it's just different. But that it would be a relatively loose and open city. It would have its apartments but there betrays around and so on and that was a kind of a say a kind of a style that we thought people were looking for right now. The difference I suppose between what we did and the way most other innercity building or rebuilding effort says that we started from. Big question as to what city for. Basically we concluded that the city was to help people live more fulfilling exciting happy lives and to that extent it can't tell whether it's a good city just by looking at it you have to really get in there and talk to the people think it has to have a lot of open space. Hard thing nice place to. Be educationally. Than any one could maintain clean and places for recreation nightclub stuff to keep the kids busy keep them off the street so we ended up with the concept of neighborhoods where the middle name of God was a on interest core and a care center. How large is a neighborhood it should be large enough to include a variety of people but small enough so that people can get to know one another a neighborhood should be large enough to support an elementary school but small enough so the school isn't overcrowded. Columbia planners decided that each element of risk you would have six hundred student population statistics told them that in the average family six tenths of a child goes to the elementary school I don't know if you've ever seen six tenths of a kid on his way to elementary school but that's the way it works. Basic arithmetic told the planners that an elementary school of six hundred students. Needs a neighborhood of a thousand families of thousand families will also comfortably support a daycare center a small grocery store and snack. And a swimming pool. But all these things well within my me that close to half a mile walking distance and you can get there without having to cross a major street. And get killed in the process. The elementary school is the core of a neighborhood and the high school is the core of a larger unit of people a village. Columbia planners discovered it would take three thousand families to fill a high school of fifteen hundred students so they combined three neighborhoods to form a village. These neighborhoods are grouped around a village center which includes not only the high school but a supermarket which also needs about three thousand families supporting it. There is a plaza the village centre and a variety of interesting shops. In every village there is also some special recreational facilities such as an Olympic sized year around the swimming pool. This gets people to move from village to village and meet new people. The village centers are planned with an eye toward duty and good design pleasant and finding places to be. Those things which are not available in the village can be found in the downtown area. Downtown is for the one of a kind thing the big stores and shopping mall office buildings and hotels. Downtown Columbia doesn't look like downtown anywhere else this is partly because of Colombia's still small still growling but even when a hundred thousand people live here. The downtown will still look different it will always include a place for parks trees fountains lake a place for people and they're not too many downtowns until many cities where you see kids running out to the end of the pier and dropping a line off to catch a fish while the father might be looking down from the window where they were and that's kind of good. Not everyone wants to live in Colombia. Some people like it and others do not. It's cleaners lot of green space lot of fresh air it's not. Overly crowded but yet there are still people around I mean you don't have people shopping you pushing fighting you know like I'll pack arrests everything is so open minded as you know I'm seeing big signs you know that to see in other cities it's just a little funny you know. It's. It's kind of like the best of everything but it doesn't work sometimes you know like some some of the the parks and the waterfalls and the strange offing the subtlety planned. For me its plan but I know he's got community though. Enough for most city to me this so the first incredible you never know when he bought it you don't even have real neighborhoods anymore you know where the whole block is a big step I do. This city has been called Man's greatest achievement. It has also been called a cesspool when the humans in. Some cities are planned but most just grow. As cities grow larger and older great areas within them are allowed to die. All people need food shelter and air to breathe. They also need beauty and good design. The manmade environment must serve the needs of its people. It's not enough that we build new housing. We must in a way create a new environment just to keep up with the growth of the area between Washington and Baltimore for example you'd have to go to Colombia every single year. It's possible it's got to be the most exciting passed up man of the world the following words either. This images and things program was produced by the Northern Virginia educational television Association for an I.T. national instructional television in association with a consortium of twenty six educational agencies.
- 16mm release print Eastman Color
- Run time
- Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.5.2
- Internet Archive
- Internet Archive
- Internet Archive
- Worldcat (source edition)
Subject: Mostly about the design and building of Columbia MD
About urban planning.
Uploaded by MichelleK on